1. Old guys. Jaromir Jagr and Teemu Selanne, both over 40 years old, are currently tied as scoring leaders in the NHL with four points apiece. Just as everyone expected.
2. Columbus and Toronto. Currently sharing first place in the NHL standings. Enjoy that while it lasts.
3. Anaheim. After a horrible start last season, the Ducks righted the ship under Bruce Boudreau, but not in time to make the playoffs. They picked up right where they left off in their impressive 7-3 win over Vancouver tonight.
1. Vancouver. Cory Schneider got lit up in his debut as Vancouver’s No. 1 starter, getting pulled after letting in five goals. Luongo didn’t look great in relief. On the bright side, the NHL.com team is in midseason form:
2. Ondrej Pavelec. In an auspicious debut after signing a shockingly generous contract, Pavelec let in four goals in Winnipeg’s home opener.
3. Jonathan Quick. The LA Kings goalie, coming back from back surgery, looked a lot more mortal than usual in his team’s 5-2 loss to the Blackhawks.